Undergraduate Research Opportunities
The new application round starts in Fall 2021!
The Max Planck School Matter to Life (MPS MtL) is offering flexible, 10 week research internships for excellent undergraduates. These research internships will be available in MtL Faculty member’s laboratories (see the Faculty page). Motivated students interested in performing research in the field of MtL have one application round opportunity each year. The internship can take place during the months of June – November.
- When is the application deadline? The deadline is December 1, 2021.
- How long is the internship? The internship lasts 10 weeks.
- When does the internship take place? The internship can be performed within the months of June – November. You will determine the exact dates of your 10 week internship within this time frame. Please indicate your availability on the application portal.
- Is the internship funded? Yes! Travel to/from your home country, accommodation, and a living allowance is provided.
- Who is eligible to apply? Any excellent undergraduate student interested in performing research in the field of Matter to Life. You should have some research experience and your major should be within one of the following fields: physics, chemistry, biology, informatics, materials science, or engineering (or a related sub-field, e.g. bioengineering). Your personal statement should highlight your previous research experience, if any.
- Where are the internships held? The internships are held in the laboratories of Matter to Life Faculty members within Germany. Our Faculty are located in Aachen, Dortmund, Dresden, Erlangen, Göttingen, Heidelberg, Jena, Magdeburg, Mainz, Marburg, Munich, Potsdam, and Saarbrücken. Please see the Faculty member’s own website to find out where their organization is located.
- Do I need to obtain Letters of Recommendation? No.
- Do I need to learn German to perform a MtL-URO? No! All internships will be conducted in English.
- When do I find out the results of my application? You should receive your results by end of January 2022.
- I have participated in the URO program before. Can I apply again? Yes, but students who have not yet participated in the program will be given priority.
- Who can I contact if I have questions? Feel free to e-mail our coordination team at firstname.lastname@example.org